If you haven’t hit the bike trails yet, read on! There are so many great reasons to ride your bike, and Sioux Falls has made bike riding easy with a great system of trails that spans throughout the city and beyond.
Bike riding offers fun, freedom and exercise – even better, it’s also good for the environment. We want you to be outside riding your bike as much as possible, so here are a few tips to help you stay safe while doing so.
- Properly fitted helmets can reduce the risk of head injuries by at least 45%, so get yourself fitted for a helmet today!
- Bike riding is easier on your joints than many other cardiovascular activities and is a great way to increase mobility in your knees and hips.
- Ride on the bike trails when you can, but if you’re in traffic, ride in the same direction as traffic as far on the right-hand side as possible. And learn your hand signals if you need to drive in traffic.
- Wear bright colors and use lights. Reflectors on your clothes and bike will help you bee seen.
- Ride as a family – stick together until you are comfortable that your kids are ready to ride on your own.
Now that you’re ready to hit the trails, let us know what you think! Tell us about your favorite part of the trail – we look forward to seeing you out this summer!